About Accelerated Reader
At Alcott we have a program that was developed by Renaissance Learning, called Accelerated Reader.
AR is a computer program that helps teachers manage and monitor children’s independent reading practice. Your child picks a book at their own level and reads it at their own pace. When finished, your child takes a short quiz on the computer. (Passing the quiz is an indication that your child understood what was read.) AR gives both children and teachers feedback based on the quiz results, which the teacher then uses to help your child set goals and direct ongoing reading practice. Children using AR choose their own books to read, rather than having one assigned to them. This makes reading a much more enjoyable experience as they can choose books that are interesting to them.
Teachers and librarians help your child choose books at an appropriate reading level that are challenging without being frustrating, ensuring that your child can pass the quiz and experience success.
If your child does not do well on the quiz, the teacher may help him:
• Choose another book that is more appropriate.
• Ask more probing questions as your child reads and before he takes a quiz.
• Pair your child with another student, or even have the book read to your child.
In most cases, children really enjoy taking the quizzes. Since they’re reading books at their reading and interest levels, they are likely to be successful. This is satisfying for most children. Best of all, they learn and grow at their own pace.
Alcott has upgraded to the web-based version, Accelerated Reader Enterprise, which now gives our students access to more than 140,000 quizzes. Thank you to the Alcott PTO for funding this upgrade!
Now, anyone can search for AR books online for free! That means parents, guardians, and students can conduct book searches by author, readability level, point value, and topic. Then, they can place the titles in their online AR BookBag, print it, and take it to their bookstore or library.
Visit www.arbookfind.com and start searching today!
Although we have these quizzes available, not all books are owned by the Alcott Library. You may, however, use books from home or the public library and then take the quiz at Alcott.
RENAISSANCE HOME CONNECT
What is Renaissance Home Connect?
Renaissance Home Connect is a tool that connects the school and home to keep parents informed of their child’s progress toward Accelerated Reader goal, and encourages the child to practice reading at home.
How does Renaissance Home Connect help me improve my child’s reading progress?
• You can view your child’s progress toward reading goals and reader certification, and view all books that your child has read and quizzes your child has taken.
• You can view all words a child has learned through Vocabulary Practice Quizzes. In addition, words the child missed are clearly marked so you can help your child learn those words.
• You can access an online search tool, AR BookFinder, to search for books using various criteria, including author, subject, or reading level.
• You can receive emails that reveal results for Reading Practice Quizzes and Vocabulary Practice Quizzes and provide links to the Web site where you can check progress.
How do I get access to Renaissance Home Connect?
Schools that have Enterprise Editions of Accelerated Reader automatically have access to Renaissance Home Connect. Your child’s teacher will provide you with the Web address for Renaissance Home Connect. The same login and password that your child uses at school will work at home.
What if I have questions about using Renaissance Home Connect?
Contact Alcott Elementary if you need help or have questions about using Renaissance Home Connect.
Alcott’s Renaissance Home Connect Web Address:
User Name & Password: sent home with report card letter